The Louisiana SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a rich benefits program including medical benefits and 401K. To report any issues with the online application process, or for special assistance, please contact email@example.com.
The Adoption Counselor assists clients regarding adoption. Ensures positive experiences and adoption matches are taking place. Educates clients regarding spay/neuter and general animal maintenance. Supports teamwork and possesses an optimistic attitude by being cooperative, flexible, and helpful with all departments.
- Match each adoptable animal to a suitable home
- Ability to stay mobile and hold constructive but sometimes lengthy discussions with clients regarding adoptable animals
- Counsel a possible adopter on choosing the appropriate animal for their household
- Handle adoption animals for potential adopters both indoors and outdoors
- Complete specific daily duties stated on the adoption task checklist
- Knowledgeable about additional programs pertaining to adoptions such as second chance and breed request programs
- Familiar and comfortable with discussing certain medical conditions such as heartworms and dental disease
- Input completed adoption questionnaires and all important information into Pet Point
- Balance funds related to adoptions and donations at the end of each work day and ensure that all deposits are placed in the appropriate area
- Remain aware of any alarming behavior from adoptable animals for the safety of other staff members and clients
- Work closely and respectfully with volunteer base
High school diploma or G.E.D. required, bachelor's degree or some college preferred.
To apply: Complete online application.
The Part-time Adoption Assistant is a weekend position with opportunity to grow. The Adoption Assistant will welcome clients, provide clients with general information and any necessary forms/applications. Assistant is responsible for providing optimal customer service while answering questions and interacting with clients. Supports teamwork and possesses an optimistic attitude by being cooperative, flexible, and helpful with all departments. Position will work Saturday and Sunday.
- Respond to questions from the public
- Greet clients entering the adoption center
- Inform clients of wait times and the adoption process
- Log client information and distribute appropriate forms/applications
- Learn Louisiana SPCA protocols to answer questions effectively
- Assist with daily adoption task list
- Input complete adoption questionnaires and all important information into database
- Educate the public on responsible pet ownership
- Promote and support the Louisiana SPCA's programs and mission
- Willingness and ability to learn about cat and dog behavior, common issues, and ways to address them in order to make good adoption matches and to keep animals in homes
- Maintain a professional and friendly demeanor and provide good customer service
- Working courteously and cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all situations
- Treat all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance and promoting a humane and caring attitude toward all animals
- Touch base regularly with the Adoption Supervisor
- Assist with answering adoption phone lines and responding to voicemails regarding adoptable animals
- Report maintenance issues or any type of missing equipment pertaining to the adoption department to the Adoption Supervisor or Placement Manager
- Notify Adoption Supervisor if any adoptable animal is showing obvious signs of sickness or concerning behavior
- Alert the Adoption Supervisor or Placement Manager if a volunteer is not following proper protocol or procedures
- Reporting Relationships and Contacts
- An Adoption Assistant shall be hired by the recommendation of the Adoption Supervisor and the Placement Manager
- An Adoption Assistant shall be directly supervised by the Adoption Supervisor.
- To assure effective communication, an Adoption Assistant shall be expected to attend department meetings
Education and/or Experience:
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment substance screening and physical
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must be personable, patient, and able to get along well with a variety of people
- Must be PC proficient, and able to handle multiple tasks at one time
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, and oral communications skills
- Flexibility, ability to manage multiple tasks
- The ability to remain pleasant and calm even in stressful situations
- Must be available to work weekends and extended hours
- Mental and physical flexibility is a must
- Must be able to work around all animals
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds; stand, sit, push and pull heavy objects; bend, twist, reach; perform strenuous physical activities including frequent walking and running, standing, bending and stooping for up to 8 hours a day
- Must be able to work with industrial strength cleaners and disinfectants
- Potentially subject to animal bites and scratches
- Works in an area with a high noise level
To apply: Complete online application.